Who doesn’t love a good muffin! It’s such a convenient way to bake. These pumpkin protein muffins are a great addition to any breakfast. They are the perfect snack before, during or after a workout. Enjoy them as a yummy dessert. By themselves or with honey and a nut butter, they are simply delicious!! Yields 12 muffins
Pumpkin Protein Muffins
- 1 c buckwheat flour
- 1/2 c hemp protein
- 16 oz pumpkin puree
- 2 flax eggs (1T flax meal + 3 T water = 1 egg)
- 1 t baking soda
- 1 t baking powder
- 1/2 t sea salt
- 1/2 t each (cinnamon, ginger, cloves, allspice, nutmeg)
- 1/4 c honey – warmed
- 1/4 c coconut oil – melted
- 1/2 – 3/4 c chocolate chips or cacao nibs
- Preheat oven to 350.
- Make flax eggs in small bowl and set aside for 5 minutes to gel.
- Combine all dry ingredients in large bowl except chocolate chips.
- Add flax eggs, honey and coconut oil and mix together.
- Add chocolate chips and stir until combined.
(You can easily substitute and make banana protein muffins. Simple omit the pumpkin puree and use 2 mashed bananas. Use 2 t vanilla instead of the spices. I generally use hemp protein powder because it is the purest form of a plant protein without anything added. Just hemp, which is filled with tons of essential amino acids. Hemp protein powder has 15 grams of protein per serving.)
I like to use an ice cream scoop when making muffins. It is an easy way to make sure that all muffins are similar in size. And, they just look better. I bake with ceramic muffin tins. No sticking, no pre-greasing your tins, no wasteful paper. I generally double this recipe since I can’t seem to keep them in the house!