Forbidden rice, or black rice, has a rich, nutty flavor. It is a great source for iron and Vitamin E. Black rice actually has more antioxidants than blueberries. This hearty salad is great by itself or served as a side.
Forbidden Rice Salad
- 2 c forbidden (black) rice uncooked
- 3-4 small red beets roasted and chopped
- 1 bunch kale deribbed and shredded
- 1/3 c unsweetened cranberries
- 1/3 c pecans roughly chopped
- 2 T lemon juice
- 2 T miso paste
- 2 T apple cider vinegar
- 2 T olive oil
- 1 T whole grain mustard
- 1 clove garlic
- 1 shallot quartered
- 1 t dried thyme
- 1/2 inch fresh gingered peeled
- Preheat oven to 400
- Cook rice according to directions and cool.
- Wash beets and cut off ends. Rub with olive oil and wrap in tin foil.
- Roast beets for about an hour or until soft. Let beets cool for about 10 minutes.
- Use paper towel to gently rub skin off. Chop beets and set aside.
- Blend all dressing ingredients in food processor until smooth.
- Toss kale and dressing in large bowl. Add rice, beets, cranberries and pecans.
- Toss until all ingredients are combined.
- Salt and pepper to taste