I love it when I can substitute a healthier option. Using quinoa instead of arborio rice is one of those substitutions. Quinoa contains nine essential amino acids, and is much higher in fiber and protein than rice. Below is a fantastic risotto recipe substituting quinoa.
Lemon Quinoa Risotto with Roasted Veggies
- 1 head cauliflower cut into florets
- 2 portobello mushrooms chopped
- 1 large onion diced
- 4-5 gloves garlic minced
- 2-3 T olive oil
- 1 cup uncooked quinoa
- 5-6 cups low sodium veggie broth (can use 1/2 water)
- 1 package arugula (5 oz)
- 1 lemon – zested and juiced
- Preheat oven to 400
- Toss cauliflower florets in 1 T olive oil. Spread on baking sheet and roast for 30 minutes, stirring halfway through. Cauliflower should be browned and crispy.
- Heat large skillet and add remainder of olive oil. Sauté onions until translucent, add mushrooms and garlic. Cook until soft and most liquid is gone.
- Add uncooked quinoa to pan and stir for a few minutes. Turn heat to medium and add 1 cup broth to quinoa mixture, stirring until liquid is gone.
- Continue to add 1 cup broth (or water) at a time until combined. Once all liquid is incorporated with quinoa, turn heat to low.
- Add arugula and stir until wilted. Add roasted cauliflower. Stir in lemon juice. Add lemon zest at the very end.