Quinoa is a fantastic gluten free substitute. It is a versatile seed that you can eat for breakfast, lunch or dinner. By itself or combined with a variety of different ingredients, this protein and fiber packed superfood is sure to please!
- 2 c uncooked quinoa
- 1 bunch green onions
- 1/2 c kalamata olives (pitted)
- 1/2 c sun-dried tomatoes
- 1 english cucumber
- 1 pkg (12 oz) shelled edamame
- 2 garlic scapes (optional)
- 1/4 c fresh basil
- 1/4 c fresh cilantro
- 1/4 c fresh mint
- 1/4 c fresh parsley
- 1 lemon
- 1/4 c white wine vinegar
- 1/4 c olive oil
- salt/pepper to taste
- Rinse and cook quinoa according to directions. Set aside in a large bowl to cool.
- Finely slice green onions and garlic scapes.
- Roughly chop kalamata olives and sun-dried tomatoes.
- Chop cucumber into 1/2 inch pieces.
- Once Quinoa has cooled, combine green onions, garlic scapes, olives, sun-dried tomatoes, cucumber and edamame. Mix together until combined.
- Finely chop herbs and stir in to quinoa mixture.
- Zest lemon over quinoa.
- In a small bowl, whisk vinegar, oil and juice of lemon.
- Pour dressing over quinoa and stir to combine.
Garlic scapes can be found at your local farmer’s market. They are the stems and unopened flower buds of a garlic plant that have a slightly sweet taste. I find that they give a hint of garlic flavor rather than overpowering a dish.