I have been working on this bread recipe for quite some time, experimenting with different flour combinations. I think I finally have the perfect vegan, gluten free AND oil free bread that can be baked in a loaf pan. I’ve tried using my bread machine, but it seems to knead the dough too much, which then makes the loaf fall flat when baking. No more tiny prepackaged, frozen slices of bread for me!
- 1 c warm water
- 1/4 c honey or maple syrup (warmed)
- 1/4 c apple sauce
- 2 packets yeast (2 1/4 t = 1 packet)
- 1 c non dairy milk
- 2 T apple cider vinegar
- 2 T flax meal
- 2 c brown rice flour
- 1 1/2 c potato starch
- 1/2 c oat flour
- 1/3 c arrowroot
- 1/4 c hemp seeds (optional)
- 1/4 c uncooked millet or amaranth (optional)
- 1 T guar gum
- 1 t sea salt
- Preheat oven to 350
- Combine warm water, honey or maple syrup, apple sauce and yeast packets in a small bowl or measuring cup. Allow yeast to proof.
- Combine milk, apple cider vinegar and flax meal in another small bowl or measuring cup.
- In a large bowl, add the remaining dry ingredients and whisk together.
- Once yeast has proofed, add the milk mixture to the yeast mixture and stir.
- Slowly pour the wet ingredients in with the dry ingredients. Stirring until a dough ball forms.
- Transfer the dough into a loaf pan and let rise for 10-20 minutes.
- Bake on middle rack for 70-80 minutes. Test for doneness by inserting knife into center of loaf, making sure that it comes out clean.
- After removing from oven, let sit in loaf pan for 10 minutes before placing on rack to cool.
Because there are no added preservatives, this bread will keep better in the fridge. I generally slice my bread as needed. I think that it will dry out if you slice the whole loaf at once. Toasting your slices will bring back that fresh, out of the oven taste. We love topping slices with nut butter, honey and cardamom or cinnamon. Topping toasted slices with coconut butter and garlic salt is the perfect addition to a pasta or salad. You’ll find that this bread is also dense enough to be prepared as french toast. Hope you like it as much as we do!!