My mom always raves about her favorite salad when she would go out to lunch with friends. She was able to get the key ingredients to the recipe and passed them along to me. After a few tries, I think I came up with a simple and tasty salad that is perfect when served alone or as a side dish. The lemon dijon vinaigrette really brings out the flavor. The longer this salad sits, the better it tastes!
- 1 bunch brussel sprouts (1 lb) – shredded
- 1 bunch lacinato kale (flat leaf/dino kale) – shredded
- 1/4 c dried unsweetened cranberries – chopped
- 1/4 c pumpkin seeds
- 1/8-1/4 c olive or grape seed oil
- 1/4 c white wine vinegar
- 1/4 c apple cider vinegar
- 2 T lemon juice
- 1-2 T dijon mustard
- sea salt/pepper to taste
- Cut the ends off the brussel sprouts. Half the sprouts and then slice thinly.
- Remove the ribs of the kale. Cut leaves in half and slice thinly.
- Add brussel sprouts and kale to large bowl
- Roughly chop cranberries.
- Add cranberries and pumpkin seeds to brussel spouts and kale.
- In a small bowl, add the remaining ingredients and whisk to combine.
- Pour dressing over salad ingredients and toss.
You can easily sub different nuts, seeds or dried fruits. Sunflower seeds, pecans or slivered almonds… Dried cherries, chopped apricots or mulberries… Any of these combinations would be great. The salad gets better long longer it sits and marinates.