Need a hearty salad that will stand up to the summer heat at a BBQ? This is the perfect salad…or should I say these are the perfect salads! This hearty rice salad, depending on the option you choose, can be enjoyed as a main course or as a side dish.
2 c uncooked wild rice blend (I used Lundberg’s)
1/2 c pecans – chopped
1/2 c dried cranberries – chopped
3-4 green onions – chopped
1 bunch chives – chopped
2-3 medium carrots – large diced (I used yellow rainbow carrots)
2 c red grapes – halved
2 T olive oil
1/2 c rice wine vinegar
2 T honey (agave or maple syrup)
2 T liquid amigos (soy sauce)
sea salt and pepper to taste
- Cook rice according to directions and let cool
- Chop pecans, dried cranberries, green onions, chives, carrots and grapes.
- Combine rice and chopped ingredients in large bowl
- In small bowl mix together dressing ingredients.
- Pour dressing over rice mix, stirring to incorporate.
- Add sea salt and pepper to taste.
- Refrigerate before serving.
Use Black Rice instead of Wild Rice Blend.
Use Rhubarb instead of carrots
Use dried cherries instead of cranberries
The dressing can stay the same.
***You can easily make this salad ahead of time. It keeps quite well in the refrigerator. If you think that the rice has dried out a bit, sprinkle more olive oil and vinegar, then toss before serving.